A Fruit from the Amazon

While  on the way home from Kuala Lumpur using the North South Expressway,  once my niece and I stopped at a rest stop to buy some fruits. There were the usual local and imported fruits; sapodilla, mangoes, rose apples, apples, oranges etc but a yellow round fruit with a thick leathery skin caught my attention. It was the abiu fruit. Abiu, scientifically known as Pouteria caimito grows in the Amazonian region of South America. I suppose it's not naturally found here but the similar weather permits it to be cultivated. In the late 80s, abiu was introduced in Perak in areas around Tapah-Cameroon Highland road but I suppose it didn't catch on. The white creamy flesh is sweet but not exceptionally tasty and when cut, you may be annoyed with the sticky sap that the skin produces.

Comments