Song Talk: Holiday

The COVID-19 pandemic is far from over. In the national front, the number of new cases has been declining but these few days, there has been an increase of cases but thankfully, the number isn't very big; yet, news of new clusters being found is a matter of concern. Children perhaps have it easy. For the three months when the nation was under lockdown, schools were closed and I suppose many of them would take that as a holiday even though teachers nationwide had been trying to reach them online. I teased my grandnephew about enjoying the break. I asked him if he likes holidays and when he answered in the affirmative, I sent him two oldies: Bee Gees' 1967 Holiday and Euro disco band Boney M's 1979 Hooray! Hooray! It's a Holi-Holiday. The latter, you may be a surprised is an adaptation of the nursery rhyme Polly Wolly Doodle. Former child star, the late Shirley Temple already sung that in the 30s.

Comments