Growing Wild

Perennial spider lily from the family Amaryllidaceae,  supposedly have large showy flowers but the white variety isn't really my cup of tea. I haven't seen the red variety, the Lycoris radiata but the white one, Hymenocallis is rather common in Malaysia. My mom had planted them; and I suppose there are many too in the Lake Gardens; just that I don't pay much attention to this hardy plant. The one at home presently probably comes from the genus Crinum. For a long time, I had thought I had seen the same plant growing wild on the beach in the then uninhabited Pulau Tenggol, an island off Paka in Terengganu. Crinum reportedly is found along the sides of streams and lakes in tropical and subtropical areas worldwide; so, now, I'm wondering where I had actually seen the plant growing wild.




Comments