Sunflower Forever

Helianthus; the name is quite common in Biology lessons especially when you are studying Botany and is looking at some prepared plant slides under the microscope to study the plant stem or root. Helianthus annuus is the scientific name of the common sunflower, a large annual forb. In the wild , the plant is said to be widely branched and has many flower heads; and is therefore different from the domestic variety which possesses only a single large inflorescence atop an unbranched stem. The sunflower has come far since it was first domesticated in the Americas, I suppose. My other niece bought a pot of the flower in Cameron Highlands and was I surprised that it was a dwarf version! I wonder if it'll ever become popular. I prefer my sunflowers tall and with big flower head.




Comments