Movie Talk: Aladdin

One night, my nephew sounded as if he was giving an ultimatum. Today we're going to the movie. What movie? I asked, looking up from my hand phone. Aladdin. he replied and I suspected it must be Man in Black's Will Smith that was the draw. Aladdin, the latest fantasy movie directed by Guy Ritchie is also a musical; definitely not my nephew's cup of tea. I just kept quiet, preferring to keep that information from him lest he changed his mind. When we were having a meal of crab however, I let the cat out of the bag. My nephew suggested watching the Korean movie, The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil instead but stuck on to the original plan when I voiced my disappointment. Even in the beginning of the movie when Will Smith's character started to sing  to narrate the story of Aladdin to his two children, my nephew already commented that it was just like watching a Bollywood movie. I thought that the scene of Aladdin, the petty thief being chased in the streets was like a scene from Jackie Chan 's movie but there were more colourful Bollywood-like dances elsewhere. The one where Aladdin  disguised as Prince Ali trying to woo Princess Jasmine of the kingdom of Agrabah was rather funny and the one that ended the movie reminded of the ending scene of Jackie Chan's Kungfu Yoga which itself is Bollywood influenced. Just my cup of tea!

Comments