A Surprise

It must be in Bali or Java that I had stir-fried morning glory. Maybe in Cambodia. It was so long ago but when  I saw the delightful white pentagon-shape white flower of the Ipomoea aquatica in the garden, inadvertently I thought of the day when I was mystified by the dish fried morning glory stated in the menu of a stall in a night market which my friend and I went to. I thought it was the purple morning glory that grows wild by the roadside back home. The flowers, big, bright and beautiful; bloom only in the morning and I am not sure if it is edible. The morning glory dish which we ordered back then turned out to be the water spinach, commonly called kangkong back home. Of course, I had had kangkong umpteenth time, usually fried with chilli and belachan, a type of prawn paste ; just that I didn't know it is called the water morning glory.  That was quite a surprise!

Comments