Plant and Animal Cockscombs

Cockscombs can be eaten; and that applies to the comb on the head of a cock; a rooster, I mean; and the flower which looks like that fleshy part of the chicken. For the animal cockscomb; in traditional French cuisine, cockscomb  can be part of the ingredients in vol-au-vents while in Italian cuisine,  it is used to make a sauce for tagliatelle. As for the plant cockscomb, the Celosia cristata - my neighbour gave me one a long time ago. There are still a few remnants around but strangely, the flowers are not as big, dense and beautiful as before; and I suspect it has to do with their losing the coveted genes in successive generations. In India, Western Africa, and South America, the cockscombs are often grown as foods but here, I've yet to hear of people cooking their leaves or flowers as vegetables; not even Indians from India.

Which cockscomb is the latest?










Comments