Movie Talk: Robin Hood

I remember there was a black and white Robin Hood series in TV a long, long time ago; most probably, it was the British version starring Richard Greene but then, I'm not sure, not being  a fan of series or movies of this genre. Understandably, when Robin Hood the movie came to town, I was not very keen to catch it; at least not until my nephew came back to town and we did the usual - go for midnight movies. The latest version of the legendary heroic outlaw of English folklore came rather a surprise to me. For one thing, Robin Hood began with him as a rather rich man who falls for a thief who happens to be Marion, who herself has been updated to a modern woman who does not hesitate to take a new lover upon being told that Robin has perished while fighting in the Crusades. Then of course, there is the surprise of Little John in the form of a black Muslim Arab named Yahya who taught and trained  Robin in the art of archery. While the movie bombed and garnered negative reviews from critics, I wouldn't lie and say that I didn't enjoy the movie. In fact I did enjoy Otto Bathurst's direction of the movie, the refreshing storyline and especially the fighting scene where Taron Egerton's Robin Hood skillfully and with style, executes his bow and arrows. Indeed, I was bowled!

Comments